We talked in class about the different trends in marriage and child rearing. It's interesting how much things have changed, but it's also a little sad to see these changes.
One thing I found interesting is that people who live together before marriage really don't have a very good success rate. They may think they're being smart by seeing how they get along before they get married, but it doesn't work out very well. They don't start off with a strong foundation-it's almost like there's less trust in the relationship. They don't know if they're going to stay together, so they'll "just see what happens." They're not invested in each other, so of course it doesn't work!
I also thought it was sad how people are postponing marriage. This is something that I've had to think a lot about. I've had so many people tell me to wait till I'm at least 25 to start thinking about marriage. They assure me that I'll be happier if I do that, and that I'll be grateful in the long run that I waited before getting married.
I don't understand how they think this is a good idea. If you live for yourself only, what kind of person does that make you? What kind of person will I be if I put off marriage because I want more time fo myself? That seems selfish.
I'm not ready to get married right now, but I hope that when the time comes, I'll know it's right. I hope that what I'm learning from this class can help me explain to people why I don't want to wait years and years till I start thinking about marriage. I think finding the one you love and starting a spe life with them sounds wonderful and exciting! Why would anyone put that off?
No comments:
Post a Comment